Hymn Story: To Canaan's Land I'm On My Way

 


To Canaan’s Land I’m On My Way, also known as Where the Soul Never Dies, was written in 1914 by William Golden.

The song was later recorded by Hank Williams under the more familiar title and became a hit that has been recorded by many gospel groups.

The following story about the song was told by Duane Allen of the Oak Ridge Boys:  In 1976 the Oak Ridge Boys were invited to do a singing tour in Russia. As in most tours of Communist countries all songs had to be pre-approved by the communist government.  The group realized that they were going to need more songs and the only songs they had were gospel songs.  Those songs were more difficult to get approved by the communists.

The Oak Ridge Boys wanted to do Where the Soul Never Dies, but submitted it with it’s original name hoping it would be approved. The censors approved the song with one change, they didn’t understand Canaan Land, so they told them they could sing it if they changed the wording to Disneyland.  The group was appalled at this and asked if they could use ‘to my fair land’ instead.  That wording was approved.

As they were loaded up on the military bus after the concert that night, a woman tapped on the window, Duane pulled down the window and the woman threw a folded up note to him. As he turned to wave goodbye, he saw the woman dragged away and beaten.  When he opened the note, this is what it said:  "keep singing about Jesus, There are still those over here who love His message.” Even in the most oppressive places in the world – the  gospel is alive and well.


1 Thessalonians 5:23 
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

 

1 To Canaan’s land I’m on my way,
Where the soul never dies;
My darkest night will turn to day,
Where the soul never dies.

2 A rose is blooming there for me,
Where the soul never dies;
And I will spend eternity,
Where the soul never dies.

3 A love light beams across the foam,
Where the soul never dies;
It shines to light the shores of home,
Where the soul never dies.

4 My life will end in deathless sleep,
Where the soul never dies;
And everlasting joys I’ll reap,
Where the soul of man never dies.

5 I’m on my way to that fair land,
Where the soul of man never dies;
Where there will be no parting hand,
Where the soul never dies.

Chorus
No sad farewells,
No tear-dimmed eyes;
Where all is love,
And the soul never dies.

 

(Sam Stack)


This article previously appeared in the January 2021 Advisor.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer for Missionaries out of POBA

Baptist Collegiate Ministries at SGSC Waycross

POBA 55th Annual Meeting