Hymn Story: Alas and Did My Savior Bleed

 



Hymn - Alas and Did my Savior Bleed
 
(Sam Stack) We never know how deeply our actions affect the lives of others.  Isaac Watts' great hymn – Alas and did my Savior Bleed, has certainly touched the lives of many throughout the centuries.  Isaac Watts first wrote the hymn in 1707.
 
The original last line of the first verse was “for such a worm as I.”  Many newer hymnals have changed the line to “For sinners such as I.” The original Verses 2 and 4 have also been omitted from most hymnals.  I have included them in the text.
 
In this hymn, Watts draws the stark contrast between the sacrificial death of the mighty Maker and the unworthiness of sinful man.  The final words of the text ‘Here Lord, I give myself away—tis all that I can do.
 
This hymn appears in two forms in most hymnals.  The older version usually is included with verses 1, 3, 5 and 6 using the tune AVON by Hugh Wilson.

It also appears in a newer version usually found with the title “At the Cross.” This version has music written in the 1800’s, by Ralph E. Hudson, who also added the chorus.
 
During a revival meeting a 30 year old blind woman heard the choir sing this great old hymn.  Verse after verse stirred her heart, but when the choir came to this final line, she gave her life to the Lord as well.
 
That blind woman was none other than Fanny Crosby, who went on to become the greatest writer of gospel songs in the late 19th and early 20th century. 
 
We never know how deeply our lives will touch the lives of others. 

But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement of our peace was upon Him, 
And by His stripes we are healed. 
All we like sheep have gone astray;
We have turned, every one, to his own way;
And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. 
Isaiah 53:5-6 (NKJV)
 
Alas And Did My Saviour Bleed
 
Verse 1
Alas and did my Saviour bleed
And did my Sov'reign die
Would He devote that sacred head
(For sinners such as I)
(For such a worm as I)
 
Verse 2
Thy body slain sweet Jesus Thine
And bathed in its own blood
While all exposed to wrath divine
The glorious suff'rer stood
 
Verse 3
Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree
Amazing pity grace unknown
And love beyond degree
 
Verse 4
Well might the sun in darkness hide
And shut His glories in
When Christ the mighty Maker died
For man the creature's sin
 
Verse 5
Thus might I hide my blushing face
While His dear cross appears
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness
And melt my eyes to tears
 
Verse 6
But drops of grief can ne'er repay
The debt of love I owe
Here Lord I give myself away
'Tis all that I can do
 
 This Hymn Story was originally published in the August 2020 Associational Advisor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer for Missionaries out of POBA

Baptist Collegiate Ministries at SGSC Waycross

POBA 55th Annual Meeting